Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going Vegetarian

To Whom It May Concern:

For the past couple of months I have been toying with a pretty radical idea. A couple months ago I attended a book signing at Book Soup for Alicia Silverstone, who starred in Clueless, Blast From the Past and Batman & Robin. She was promoting her book, The Kind Diet, which is a vegan cookbook (something I did not know until she presented her book before she signed copies of the book). The more veganism was discussed, the idea really intrigued me why someone would change their lifestyle from eating meat to none at all and not eating anything produced by animals.

Back when I started college a weird trend started for me: I dated four vegetarians and one vegan in a row. What are the odds of that happening to one person in a six month span? I found that pretty ridiculous and it seemed like a weird coincidence. However I just kept meeting more and more people who were vegetarians or vegans. I loved hanging out with them and would always question, why go "hippie" and hate meat. They always hated that, but loved that I was curious and genuinely interested in their lifestyle. As a result, I learned about an awesome vegan place, California Vegan Kitchen, on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood that has some amazing food. Just be warned if you go with me, I do call everyone in there a hippie, especially when I go there with Amber and Casey. But let me get back on track.

The real reason why I am writing this is to let everyone know that I will become a vegetarian for the next 30 days starting on 1/1/2010 at 12:01 a.m. Yes, this is my New Year's Resolution for 2010. I feel that it's a good time as any to try this whole "vegetarian" thing. The subject has come up too much for me not to address and I feel this will be a good challenge. I love challenges and I think this will be a fun experience. To prepare for this challenge I ate all my favorite meat products over the past couple of weeks so I don't feel too tempted: steak, chicken, bacon, ham, filet mignon, hamburgers, shrimp, fish, eggs, etc. Giving up chicken will probably be my biggest challenge, but you got to do what you go to do.

Don't worry my attitude won't change and feel free to tempt me. It won't bother me at all and I actually encourage it. I am just glad I had sushi at my favorite place before undergoing this crazy task. This blog will change slightly for the next 30 days and include updates on my thoughts/ eating habits. Depending on how I feel after 30 days I might extend it, but we'll find out in a month. Hope everyone has a great New Year's and don't party too hard.

Sincerely,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment